Winter Survival Tips from Siberian Squirrels

These late winter months are the toughest, aren't they? We've had our fair share of snow, which I do love, but it has thawed and frozen several times over to make thick icy coatings over trails and sidewalks. I find that I rely heavily on 3 things to get me through this time: our wood burning stove, good tea, and the awareness of daylight stretching later in to the day.

Some weeks ago I watched this incredible Nature documentary about a Korean photographer that braved an extreme climate and isolation to observe and film Siberian Tigers. The Siberian wilderness is an austere, sparsely populated habitat. Aside from the mysterious, and majestic tigers, I was a bit smitten with the Siberian squirrels; those ear tufts! I am sure the squirrels have it as tough as every other creature that inhabits that cold landscape. Being squirrels, though, they had that little mischievous glint in their eyes. 

Comments

  1. I love the sweater and mug of tea. What a smart squirrel.

    Just read your last post too and it brought tears to my eyes. Such a beautiful painting and sentiment. Being a mama is special, isn't it? I have loved sharing bits of nature with my two girls whether in our backyard or elsewhere. Still do although I get teased sometimes for my enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, being a mama has been both the most natural thing, and also a cherished honor. Your girls are lucky to have a mama so engaged with the natural world!

      Delete
  2. That is just sweet, I love his hat and knitted jumper, I'm not allowed to see the tigers unfortunately, due to restrictions, but I know they are stunning. I agree about the cold, even though our cold is nothing in comparison, we don't have a wood burner, but it's top of my list when we next move, tea and that extra light are a real boost! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad you can't watch our PBS with UK internet, but you might be able to see clips of it on youtube? It's called Siberian Tiger Quest and the name of the Korean photographer is Sooyong Park. And when we first moved in to our house 6 years ago, the wood stove was the first thing to go in, and never a regret since!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts