Golden Oriole - Oriolus oriolus


I've been so immersed in an illustration job, that I haven't even had a moment or two for Tiny Aviary. I have a little more breathing room this week, and so I just finished this commission of a Golden Oriole. Unlike New World orioles, such as the Baltimore Oriole, the Golden Oriole belongs to the family oriolidae, rather than the icterids. Icterids include the New World orioles, grackles, meadowlarks, and blackbirds. Oriolus oriolus is not native to North America, but can be found in parts of Western Asia, and parts of Europe. Last week I had a male and female Baltimore Oriole hanging about our yard. They are similar looking to this species, except the yellow is a deep, bright orange. That's where the similarities end, as icterids and oriolidae are quite unrelated other than in looks. This painting is going to someone that lives in India.

Well, I am hoping I can add a couple more updates this week to Tiny Aviary, but, I probably won't be able to get to it until next week. So have a lovely week!

Comments

  1. Fantastic! :)
    Can't wait to see more post in the wonderful Tiny Aviary.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts